Hasselback aubergine parmigiana
- May 2021
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
This hasselback aubergine parmigiana is delicious twist on a classic Italian dish. Crisp aubergine slices are baked in a rich tomato sauce and sprinkled with parmesan.
- 48.5g (17.1g saturated)
- 47.4g (32g sugars)
- 1 large onion
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 500ml tomato passata
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Large pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 large aubergines
- 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 mozzarella ball
- 30g dried breadcrumbs
- Small handful fresh basil
- Heat the oven to 200°C fan/gas 7. Halve, peel and slice the onion. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for 8-10 minutes to soften. Add the crushed garlic, then cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato purée and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour in the passata, chopped tomatoes, 2 tsp of the dried oregano, caster sugar, a large pinch of chilli flakes (optional) and some salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly reduced. Pour the sauce into the baking dish.
- Take the aubergines and make widthways cuts at 1cm intervals, three quarters of the way through, so the slices are still attached at the bottom. Drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil, getting into the cuts. Spoon a little tomato sauce into the cuts, along with 30g grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Arrange the aubergines in the baking dish on top of the sauce and bake for 30 minutes until the aubergines are slightly charred.
- Cut the mozzarella ball into 6-8 pieces, then dot over the aubergines. In a small bowl, mix the dried breadcrumbs with 20g grated Parmigiano Reggiano, 1 tbsp olive oil and ½ tsp dried oregano. Sprinkle over the aubergines and bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is golden and the aubergines are tender. Top with fresh basil and serve with crusty bread or a green salad.
You’ll also need a 2-3 litre capacity baking dish.
You can make the parmigiana up to 1 day ahead. Cool, then chill, covered. Reheat in a low oven for 30-40 minutes to serve.
Rate & review