Jewelled freekeh salad
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min, plus overnight soaking
This spiced Middle Eastern-style salad of freekeh, aubergine and courgettes is a fantastic side dish for chicken or lamb – or enjoy it as main for a healthy, vegetarian lunch.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 21.8g (3g saturated)
- 45.2g (11.6g sugars)
- 200g wholewheat freekeh (or 600g cooked freekeh)
- 2 courgettes, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 red peppers, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Seeds ½ pomegranate
- Bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Tahini to drizzle
For the dressing
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ orange
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 60ml olive oil
- If using dried freekeh, soak it overnight in cold water. The next day, drain the freekeh and put it in a saucepan with 750ml lightly salted water. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 35-40 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat and leave, covered, until cool.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put all the vegetables in a large mixing bowl, add the spices and olive oil, then season and mix well. Spread out the vegetables in a large baking tray, then roast for 30 minutes or until golden and slightly soft.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To serve, put the freekeh and roasted veg in a large salad bowl. Toss with the dressing, then scatter with the pomegranate seeds and coriander and drizzle with the tahini.
Cook the freekeh and roast the vegetables 24 hours ahead; keep covered in the fridge. Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad
With chickpeas, aubergines, halloumi and roasted garlic, this quick vegetarian salad recipe makes a substantial...
Aubergine salad with shallots and pomegranate molasses
A smoky barbecue side dish recipe by chef Ben Tish, with peppery watercress, sweet shallots...