Jewelled freekeh salad
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min, plus overnight soaking
This spiced Middle Eastern-style salad of freekeh, aubergine and courgettes is a fantastic side dish for chicken or lamb – or enjoy it as main for a healthy, vegetarian lunch.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 21.8g (3g saturated)
- 45.2g (11.6g sugars)
- 200g wholewheat freekeh (or 600g cooked freekeh)
- 2 courgettes, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 red peppers, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Seeds ½ pomegranate
- Bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Tahini to drizzle
For the dressing
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ orange
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 60ml olive oil
- If using dried freekeh, soak it overnight in cold water. The next day, drain the freekeh and put it in a saucepan with 750ml lightly salted water. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 35-40 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat and leave, covered, until cool.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put all the vegetables in a large mixing bowl, add the spices and olive oil, then season and mix well. Spread out the vegetables in a large baking tray, then roast for 30 minutes or until golden and slightly soft.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To serve, put the freekeh and roasted veg in a large salad bowl. Toss with the dressing, then scatter with the pomegranate seeds and coriander and drizzle with the tahini.
Cook the freekeh and roast the vegetables 24 hours ahead; keep covered in the fridge. Keep leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad
With chickpeas, aubergines, halloumi and roasted garlic, this quick vegetarian salad recipe makes a substantial...
Aubergine salad with shallots and pomegranate molasses
A smoky barbecue side dish recipe by chef Ben Tish, with peppery watercress, sweet shallots...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...