Kimchi chicken noodle bowl
- October 2023
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 min
These noodles are by no means authentic, but there’s something about spicy, sour kimchi that works really well with cheese. Here it’s blended with cream cheese to make a smooth sauce for noodles and served with grilled chicken, sesame seeds and a drizzle of soy sauce.
Have you ever had massaged kale? It’s a simple trick that takes this leafy green to the next level. A pinch of salt (or other seasonings) are worked into chopped kale by hand to soften the leaves and improve the texture. In this recipe, the kale is then quickly grilled with a sprinkling of sesame seeds to make a healthy but satisfying side.
Want to get more fermented foods into your diet? Have a go at making your own kimchi.
- 21g (7.3g saturated)
- 63g (5.5g sugars)
- 100g kale
- 2 free-range chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil to coat
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 150g buckwheat soba or medium egg noodles
- 150g kimchi
- 60g cream cheese
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Put the kale in a bowl, add a large pinch of salt and massage in with your fingertips for a few minutes, then set aside (this will help it soften). Heat the grill to medium-high. Put the chicken between 2 sheets of baking paper and bash out with a rolling pin to an even thickness. Coat with oil, season with salt and pepper, then put on a baking tray. Grill for 9-12 minutes, turning and sprinkling with half the sesame seeds halfway through.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Put the kimchi, cream cheese, honey, sesame oil, 1 tbsp of the soy sauce and the garlic in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Drain the noodles, reserving a mugful of the cooking water, then return to the pan and stir in the kimchi sauce, adding a little of the reserved water if needed to help it coat the noodles.
- When the chicken is done, transfer it to a board to rest. Put the kale on the baking tray and sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds. Grill for about 3 minutes until tender and crisp in places. Serve the noodles and kale topped with the chicken, with the remaining 1 tbsp soy sauce drizzled over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Korean-spiced roast chicken with kimchi fried rice
Add a Korean twist to your Sunday with our fiery...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter