Leek, cheddar and mustard veggie sausages
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These delicious home-made vegetarian sausages are cheap as chips to make and suitable for home-freezing.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28g (10.5g saturated)
- 40.5g (2.6g sugar)
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 leeks, washed and finely chopped
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- 200g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 150g mature Cheddar, finely grated (use vegetarian if you need it to be)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the leeks and cook until softened. Add the chilli (if using), then tip into a bowl. Add 150g of the breadcrumbs, the cheese, mustard, chives and 2 eggs. Mix together well, season, then put the bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Put the remaining egg in another shallow dish, and beat it with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 8 sausage shapes, then dip first in the egg before rolling in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the sausages for 10 minutes until golden and cooked through. Serve with chutney and a crunchy salad.
Put the uncooked sausages on a lined tray and open-freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezerproof container in between layers of baking paper and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost before cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Jersey royal, smoked cheddar and spring onion cakes
Can you make potato cakes with jersey royals? Yes, yes you can. Make the most...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...