Mango tartes Tatins
- November 2004
- Serves 6
- Takes 50 minutes to make, plus chilling
This is a clever but simple take on the classic apple tarte tatin recipe. With only 4 ingredients, it couldn’t be easier!
For a tropical take on mangos, try this recipe for mango baked in coconut sugar and kaffir lime.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.3g (9.6g saturated)
- 45g (22g sugar)
- 40g butter, plus extra to grease
- 3 small ripe mangoes, peeled
- 50g golden granulated sugar
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- Base line 6 x 8cm individual round tartlet tins with baking paper and grease the sides of the tins with butter. Cut the flesh away in one piece from each side of the 3 mango stones. Make about 10 cuts along three-quarters of the length of each mango cheek, so that the slices are still joined together at the top.
- Put the sugar in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Heat very gently until the sugar dissolves and turns brown. Add the butter, then stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Add the mango to the pan, curved side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes, pressing down to fan out the slices (there’s no need to turn them over). Lift the mango into the tins, curved side down, and drizzle with any remaining caramel.
- Unroll the pastry and, using the tins as a guide, cut out 6 rounds. Use to top each mango piece. Chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden. Carefully invert onto plates – watch out for the hot caramel – and serve with creme fraiche, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot toffee mangoes
The sweetness of the mangoes is brought to the fore in this deliciously sticky, simple...
Mango dessert recipes
Mango baked in coconut sugar and kaffir lime with coconut ice cream
”This is a great end to a spicy meal. It makes more ice cream than...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...