Mexican black bean nachos
- January 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 45 min
Pile this vegetarian bean chilli on top of crispy tortilla chips then scatter with cheese, chillies, avocado and lime. A crowd-pleasing Mexican feast for six.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.7g (7.4g saturated)
- 37.3g (9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 197g tin sweetcorn, drained and patted dry on kitchen paper
- Large handful coriander, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Mexican spice mix or fajita seasoning
- 400ml passata
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 185g tortilla chips (we used Manomasa White Cheddar chips from Asda, Booths, Sainsbury’s and good delis)
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- Juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 2 green chillies, thinly sliced to serve (optional)
- Soured cream to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large flameproof baking dish on the hob over a medium heat. Add the onion, pepper and sweetcorn, then fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander stalks to the pan with the garlic and spices, then cook for a minute or so until fragrant . Stir in the passata, stock and seasoning, then add the black beans. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and reduced.
- To serve, spread the tortilla chips over a large baking tray, top with generous amounts of the black bean sauce, scatter with cheese, then bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, lightly mash the avocado in a bowl with the lime juice and a generous pinch of flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the nachos topped with the avocado, sliced chillies (if using), soured cream, fresh coriander and extra lime wedges for squeezing.
You could also serve the black bean stew with steamed rice or as the filling for a vegan pie – top with vegan puff pastry, then bake in a hot oven for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden.
Real chilli addicts can serve this with a bottle of hot pepper sauce on the side.
Make the black bean sauce up to the end of step 3, cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Go for a juicy, vibrant red such as Argentina’s super-fruity malbec.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Nachos with avocado salsa
These cheesy nachos with beef ragù and avocado salsa make the best TV snack.