Mulled wine carrots with crispy sage breadcrumbs
- December 2022
- Serve 4-6 as side
- Hands-on time 10 min. Simmering time 35-40 min
Carrots can sometimes fall by the wayside in the Christmas sides hierarchy; give them the attention they deserve by braising them in warming mulled wine, citrus, stock and orange until glossy and glazed, with a crunchy scattering of sage breadcrumbs to finish.
Plan your Dec 25th feast with our Christmas dinner recipes.
- 9.3g (5.8g saturated)
- 10.2g (8.9g sugars)
- 300g carrots
- 250g chicken or vegetable stock
- 150g mulled wine
- 50g unsalted butter
- ¼ orange, sliced into wheels
- 1 sage sprig
For the crumb
- 5 sage leaves
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 10g panko breadcrumbs
- Peel and halve the carrots lengthways (if they’re particularly big you may want to quarter them – just try to keep them all the same thickness). Put in a large frying pan and arrange them in a single layer, then pour over the stock and wine. Add the butter, orange slices and sage. Simmer over a low heat for 35 40 minutes until the carrots are easily pierced with a knife. By this time, the liquid will have reduced and you’ll be left with a shiny glaze.
- While the carrots cook, make the sage crumb. Finely chop the sage leaves and melt the butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the sage and breadcrumbs and fry, stirring for 3-5 minutes until golden. Finish with a pinch of flaky sea salt.
- Transfer the glazed carrots to a serving platter and sprinkle over the sage crumb.
Don’t waste it: We’ve used ready-made mulled wine in this recipe as it is already sweetened, but if you already have some red wine open just gently warm it through with a mulled wine spice sachet (or a pinch of cloves, a few star anise and a cinnamon stick) and 1 tbsp sugar.
Easy swaps: Fry the breadcrumbs in olive oil instead of butter if you want to make the dish vegan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter