Masala dal (garlicky spiced lentils)
- November 2005
- Serves 4
- Ready in 35 minutes
This Masala dal recipe, or garlicky spiced lentils, is so quick and easy to make and will please vegetarians too.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 200g yellow and red lentils (or all red)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 fresh or dried curry leaves (Waitrose stocks the dried variety)
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp Patak’s Garam Masala Paste
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pour 600ml boiling water into a saucepan. Add the lentils and turmeric. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes until they have softened and absorbed most of the water. Add more water if necessary. Remove from the heat.
- In another saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle, add the ginger, garlic, curry leaves and chilli. Fry for 1 minute, then add the garam masala paste and tomatoes. Fry for a few more minutes, then spoon into the lentils. Season with salt, to taste.
- Bring to the boil, then stir in the coriander and lemon juice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...