Mushroom and leek quinoa risotto
- November 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This twist on risotto uses quinoa instead of rice for a slightly healthier spin on the comforting classic. It’s a great midweek family meal – everyone will love the crispy onion topping.
Looking for the traditional recipe? Try this comforting mushroom and taleggio risotto recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.4g (1.8g saturated)
- 13.6g protein
- 35.2g (6.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 240g quinoa
- 200ml dry white wine
- 700-750ml hot vegetable stock (we like Knorr)
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 20g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
- 3 tbsp ready-made crispy fried onions
- Handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley leaves (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and fry the leek with a pinch of salt for 6 minutes, then add the mushrooms and fry for 6-7 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and stir for a minute, then transfer a quarter of the veg to a plate and keep warm. Stir the quinoa into the pan and cook for a minute.
- Turn up the heat, add the white wine and let it bubble for 2 minutes. Add the stock in three stages, adding more when the previous addition has been absorbed. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The quinoa should still have some bite to it.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, season it and stir in the lemon zest and cheese. Top with the crispy onions, the reserved vegetables and parsley (if using). Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Next time, add a spoonful of crème fraîche to the cooked quinoa for a creamier, richer texture.
Make the risotto the day before. Reheat the risotto and veg for topping until piping hot, then top with the crispy onions to serve.
You’ll find tubs of crispy fried onions in large supermarkets. They add a textural finishing touch to all dishes from soups to pastas to risottos.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mushroom risotto with bacon
This bacon and mushroom risotto recipe is a quick and scrumptious midweek supper for two.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...