Spring mushroom risotto
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 minutes
Relish in spring mushrooms, such as morels and St George’s, in this mushroom risotto with a Portuguese twist.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 40g dried ceps
- 2 strands of saffron
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp sugar
- 400g St George’s and morels, chopped
- 100g horse or button mushrooms
- 400g risotto rice
- 125ml white wine
- 1 preserved lemon, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 100g pom pom, chopped
- 400g tin of tomatoes, chopped
- 100g green olives, pitted
- 7g fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Place the dried ceps in a jug and fill with 1 litre of boiling water, then add the saffron. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter, then add the whole garlic cloves and onions, then sprinkle with the sugar. Sauté for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the St George’s, morels and horse or button mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt, then add the rice, coating with the mixture and add the wine and lemon. Bring to a high simmer to reduce the liquid.
- Add a ladle of the cep and saffron water, and reduce it down, stirring as you go. Remove the rehydrated dried ceps from the water, chop and add to the saucepan. Continue to add the water, a ladle at a time, reducing it each time, whilst constantly stirring. This should take around 20 minutes. Stir in the pom pom mushrooms and the tin of tomatoes and reduce down, again stirring constantly. Mix in the olives and parsley, then season with pepper, and serve.
Due to be published late autumn with Lorenz Books; ISBN 9780754832867).
Image by Jon Ashford; copyright Anness Publishing Ltd.
You can use any kind of mushroom in this risotto in any combination – just add the more delicate ones towards the end and the sturdier mushrooms at the beginning.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mushroom and salami risotto
A good risotto is just what you want on a cold night. This easy recipe...
Tomato and chorizo risotto with garlic Tenderstem
Risottos aren’t just a winter treat – try this springtime recipe with tomatoes, chorizo and Tenderstem...
Classic artichoke risotto
Artichokes are the hero of Theo Randall’s risotto recipe – serve piping hot for a...