Natasha Corrett’s sweet potato falafels
- July 2016
- Makes 16; serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 25 min
Much healthier than the fried version but still crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and gently spiced – Natasha Corrett gives this Middle Eastern classic a gluten-free makeover.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.3g (1.8g saturated)
- 50g (12.2g sugars)
For 4 with a tortilla
- 340g cooled, roasted sweet potatoes (500g uncooked weight)
- ½ garlic clove
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp sunflower oil
- Large bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 25g quinoa flour (from health food stores)
- Polenta for rolling
- Gluten-free tortilla wraps and mixed leaf salad to serve (optional)
For the yogurt dip
- 180g goat’s milk yogurt
- ¼ garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 10g fresh mint, chopped
For the tomato salsa
- 180g baby tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Scoop out the flesh of the roasted sweet potatoes into a food processor. Chop the ½ garlic clove, put into the processor, then add the smoked paprika, salt and sunflower oil. Pulse until smooth. Add the coriander and pulse again, then stir in the quinoa flour.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal pieces and roll into balls. (It’s a wet mixture, but don’t worry.) Roll the balls in the polenta, then bake in a baking tray for 25 minutes or until crisp on the outside.
- Prepare the yogurt dip and the tomato salsa by combining the ingredients in separate bowls.
- Serve the falafels with the yogurt dip and tomato salsa, with a green leaf salad and a gluten-free tortilla wrap, if you like.
Recipe from Honestly Healthy in a Hurry by Natasha Corrett
You could also try making these with roasted beetroot or roasted butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes.
The falafels will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days, so they’re great for taking to work.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
Sweet potato, chickpea and feta salad with tahini dressing
Soft roasted sweet potato, tangy feta and crunchy chickpeas combine in this knockout veggie salad....
Sweet potato recipes
Smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas with lime-pickled onions
Take your veggie Mexican night to new heights with these smoky bean and sweet potato...
Vegan dinner recipes
Vegan Turkish kebabs with chilli sweet potato mash and roasted veg
This meaty favourite has been given a vegan makeover with the use of vegan mince...