Natasha Corrett’s sweet potato falafels
- July 2016
- Makes 16; serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 25 min
Much healthier than the fried version but still crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and gently spiced – Natasha Corrett gives this Middle Eastern classic a gluten-free makeover.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.3g (1.8g saturated)
- 50g (12.2g sugars)
For 4 with a tortilla
- 340g cooled, roasted sweet potatoes (500g uncooked weight)
- ½ garlic clove
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp sunflower oil
- Large bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 25g quinoa flour (from health food stores)
- Polenta for rolling
- Gluten-free tortilla wraps and mixed leaf salad to serve (optional)
For the yogurt dip
- 180g goat’s milk yogurt
- ¼ garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 10g fresh mint, chopped
For the tomato salsa
- 180g baby tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Scoop out the flesh of the roasted sweet potatoes into a food processor. Chop the ½ garlic clove, put into the processor, then add the smoked paprika, salt and sunflower oil. Pulse until smooth. Add the coriander and pulse again, then stir in the quinoa flour.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal pieces and roll into balls. (It’s a wet mixture, but don’t worry.) Roll the balls in the polenta, then bake in a baking tray for 25 minutes or until crisp on the outside.
- Prepare the yogurt dip and the tomato salsa by combining the ingredients in separate bowls.
- Serve the falafels with the yogurt dip and tomato salsa, with a green leaf salad and a gluten-free tortilla wrap, if you like.
Recipe from Honestly Healthy in a Hurry by Natasha Corrett
You could also try making these with roasted beetroot or roasted butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes.
The falafels will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 3-4 days, so they’re great for taking to work.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Quick spring green, sweet potato and chilli frittata
Frittata, made with spring greens, creamy goat’s cheese, sweet potato and a kick of chilli...
Sweet potato recipes
Diana Henry’s pilaf of mixed grains, sweet potato and fennel
For a hearty vegetarian dinner, try Diana Henry’s pilaf recipe – made with mixed grains,...