Pear sorbet with pear wafers
- August 2006
- Serves 8
- Takes 45 minutes to make, 2 hours in the oven (for the wafers), plus freezing
Create a real show-stopper at your next dinner party with this pear sorbet with pear wafers recipe – it’s amazingly healthy too!
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 0.2g (trace saturated)
- 41.1g (41.1g sugars)
- 1kg firm, ripe dessert pears, such as Comice
- 100g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp pear liqueur (Poire William, from good wine shops) or Calvados
For the pear wafers
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 dessert pears
- Make the sorbet. Slice the pears, discarding the cores, and put in a pan. Add the sugar and 100ml water. Stir to dissolve the sugar over a medium heat, then simmer for 15 minutes, until the pears are soft. Cool for 15 minutes, then tip into a blender with the lemon juice. Whizz until smooth. Cool and stir in the liqueur.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. (Or put in a freezerproof container, cover, and freeze for 2 hours. Fork over to break up the ice crystals and freeze for a further hour.)
- Meanwhile, make the pear wafers. Preheat the oven to 110°C/fan90°C/gas 1/4. Put the sugar and 50ml water in a pan over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat and boil for 2-3 minutes. Cool.
- Use a mandolin to slice the pears very thinly (there’s no need to peel, destalk or core them). Discard any small outer slices. Coat the slices in the syrup, then lay on a lined baking tray and bake for 2 hours, turning halfway, until dried and crisp. Peel off the paper to prevent them sticking, then lay them back on the paper to cool and crisp up further.
- If you haven’t made the sorbet in a machine, transfer to a processor and whizz until smooth. Put back in the container and freeze until needed.
- To serve, transfer the sorbet to the fridge for 10 minutes. Scoop into bowls and decorate with a pear wafer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ruby port poached pears and hazelnut shortbread
These spiced poached pears with crumbly shortbread make a beautifully elegant dinner party dessert.