- March 2016
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 30 min, plus cooling
Adding pomegranate molasses to this cake lends a sweet-sharp flavour which pairs beautifully with the orange blossom and mascarpone topping.
Browse dozens of baking recipes for every occasion.
- 17g (10.8g saturated)
- 36.6g (24.2g sugars)
- 150g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 50g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses, plus 75ml extra
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 50ml buttermilk
For the topping
- 100g mascarpone
- 15g icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ tsp orange blossom water
- Pomegranate seeds
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin (without a loose bottom). Heat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/gas 4. Melt the butter and sugars in a saucepan, then pour into a mixing bowl and allow to cool. Beat in the eggs, one by one, then stir in the 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses.
- Sift the flour, bicarb and salt into another large bowl, then fold in the egg mixture until combined. Stir in the buttermilk.
- Spoon the batter into the tin, then bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer pushed into the cake comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then invert onto a cooling rack. Set a plate underneath the rack. Poke holes in the top of the cake using a skewer, then pour over the 75ml pomegranate molasses. Cool.
- To make the topping, whisk the mascarpone with the icing sugar and orange blossom water. Spread over the cake, then scatter with pomegranate seeds. The cake will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
If you only have a loose-bottomed cake tin, line it first with foil, then with baking paper. You could use a 20cm square tin, although the cake may sink in the middle.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Orange and pomegranate salad with orange blossom cream
Donal Skehan’s winter fruit salad recipe is a healthy mix...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter