Potted duck with pistachio
- December 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 30 min, plus cooling and chilling
This pimped potted duck starter is easy to make ahead of time and will lend a French bistro vibe to your next dinner party. What’s more, it’s gluten free.
Or, try your hand at the French classic duck rillettes.
- 26g fat (11.2g saturated)
- 19.4g protein
- 1.1g carbs (0.5g sugars)
- 1g fibre
- 0.8g salt
- 2 confit duck legs
- 4 tbsp butter
- Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachio kernels, plus extra to serve
- cornichons, to serve (optional)
- Cook the confit duck legs according to the pack instructions, then set aside to cool. Melt the butter in a small pan with the nutmeg and peppercorns. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once the duck is cool enough, strip the meat from the legs and shred into a mixing bowl. Stir in the parsley and pistachio kernels and season with a good grinding of black pepper.
- Divide among 4 ramekins, pour over the spiced butter, cover and chill for at least 3 hours (see Make Ahead). Serve with thinly sliced toast (gluten free if it needs to be) and extra chopped fresh parsley, pistachios and cornichons, if you like.
The potted duck will keep, covered and chilled, for up to 2 days. Bring back to room temperature to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easier to make than you might think, Allan Pickett’s confit-cooked duck rillettes make a wonderfully...
Make-ahead Christmas starters
Potted hot-smoked salmon with onion and apple pickle
It wouldn’t be Christmas without a salmon starter. This potted hot-smoked salmon dish is simple,...
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Clodagh Mckenna’s smoked mackerel and dill pâté with fennel crispbreads
Clodagh Mckenna’s easy smoked mackerel and dill pâté recipe makes an elegant starter for a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...