Prawn, vegetable and quinoa broth
- April 2018
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil for frying
- 100g onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 35g quinoa
- 80g carrots, finely diced
- 1 litre fresh chicken or vegetable stock
- 150g sustainable raw shelled prawns
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic, quinoa and carrots, then gently fry for 5 minutes more, stirring.
- Pour in the stock, turn up the heat and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender.
- Stir in the prawns, spinach, lemon zest and juice and most of the parsley. Simmer for 2-3 minutes more until the prawns are cooked through and opaque. Taste, season with salt and pepper, then serve straightaway, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
For the second portion, liven things up by stirring through finely chopped red chilli, a handful of fresh coriander and a splash of fish sauce.
This makes enough for 2 fasting days. The second portion will keep for up to 3 days, covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter