Quick veggie baked eggs
- March 2009
- For 2 people
- Takes 10 minutes to make and about 25 minutes to cook
Ease into the weekend with a hearty dish of veggie baked eggs. Meat eaters, do not fret – you can stir through crispy fried chorizo for a fiery kick.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp ready-chopped shallots or 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 200g waxy potatoes, diced into 1cm cubes
- 350g jar tomato and chilli sauce
- 3 Sacla Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Chilli, roughly chopped
- 60g young spinach
- 2 large free-range eggs
- A handful of ready-made fresh breadcrumbs
- A small handful of fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat olive oil in a large pan and fry shallots until softened.
- Add sweet paprika and stir through potatoes. Fry, stirring, for 10 minutes, adding a splash of water if they stick. Pour over a jar of tomato and chilli sauce and the chilli roasted tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Stir through spinach leaves to wilt, and spoon between 2 x 350ml ovenproof dishes. Crack the egg into the centre of each dish and pop into the oven for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and fry the breadcrumbs until crisp. Stir through the parsley. When the baked eggs are ready, scatter with the breadcrumbs to serve.
Rate & review