Roasted radish, chicken and pickled vegetable salad
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on 30 min
There are so many good things going on in this salad recipe – vibrant radish, perfectly browned chicken and zingy dressed cucumber. It’s fresh, light and exceedingly good.
- 15g (2.3g saturated)
- 2.9g (2.8g sugars)
- 200g radishes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 extra glugs
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 5 tbsp moscatel vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cucumber
- 300g fennel bulb with fronds
- 2 large skin-on free-range chicken breasts
- Large handful pea shoots
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the radishes in a baking tray, coat with a little olive oil, then season. Roast for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic, then mix with the sugar and 3 tbsp vinegar in a large bowl. Peel the cucumber, halve along its length, then scoop out the seeds. Slice into ribbons with a sharp knife, then add to the bowl. Finely slice the fennel, then add to the bowl with its fronds and 2 pinches of salt.
- Add a glug of oil to a frying pan over a medium-hot heat. Cover the chicken breasts with cling film, then bash with a rolling pin to flatten slightly. Discard cling film, season the chicken, then fry for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pickled veg and slice the rested chicken. In a clean bowl, toss both with the radishes, pea shoots, the rest of the vinegar and the 2 tbsp oil, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Barbecued chicken, blue cheese and pickled celery salad
Sophie Michell’s recipe for barbecued chicken incorporates classic American flavours but without the junk food...