Roasted radish, chicken and pickled vegetable salad
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on 30 min
There are so many good things going on in this salad recipe – vibrant radish, perfectly browned chicken and zingy dressed cucumber. It’s fresh, light and exceedingly good.
- 15g (2.3g saturated)
- 2.9g (2.8g sugars)
- 200g radishes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 extra glugs
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 5 tbsp moscatel vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cucumber
- 300g fennel bulb with fronds
- 2 large skin-on free-range chicken breasts
- Large handful pea shoots
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the radishes in a baking tray, coat with a little olive oil, then season. Roast for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, crush the garlic, then mix with the sugar and 3 tbsp vinegar in a large bowl. Peel the cucumber, halve along its length, then scoop out the seeds. Slice into ribbons with a sharp knife, then add to the bowl. Finely slice the fennel, then add to the bowl with its fronds and 2 pinches of salt.
- Add a glug of oil to a frying pan over a medium-hot heat. Cover the chicken breasts with cling film, then bash with a rolling pin to flatten slightly. Discard cling film, season the chicken, then fry for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pickled veg and slice the rested chicken. In a clean bowl, toss both with the radishes, pea shoots, the rest of the vinegar and the 2 tbsp oil, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Barbecued chicken, blue cheese and pickled celery salad
Sophie Michell’s recipe for barbecued chicken incorporates classic American flavours but without the junk food...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...