Roasted squash and pepper salad
- February 2006
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- 800g butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed dried chillies
- 130g bag Florette Watercress, Spinach and Rocket salad leaves
- Handful of mixed fresh coriander and mint leaves
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
For the tomato dressing
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 7 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- Pinch of crushed dried chillies
- Make the dressing. Put the tomatoes and vinegar in a small pan and heat gently. Set aside for 30 minutes. Blend in a mini processor with the rest of the ingredients until chunky. Add 1 tablespoon warm water. Season.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cook the peppers in a roasting tin for 30 minutes.
- Quarter, deseed and peel the squash. Cut into 1cm pieces. Toss with the oil, garlic, chilli and season. Cook in a roasting tin for 20 minutes, until tender.
- Put the peppers in a plastic bag, seal and cool. Remove the stalks, skin and seeds. Slice the flesh.
- Divide the salad leaves and herbs between 4 plates. Scatter with the squash, peppers and two-thirds of the chickpeas. Stir the rest into the dressing. Spoon over the salad and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter