- February 2021
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 10-15 min
This delicious homemade seafood chowder recipe is fancy enough to impress but quick and easy enough to be on the table in 45 minutes.
Or, make this fabulous clam chowder recipe, made with lashings of sherry and cream.
- 27.5g (14.8g saturated)
- 34.9g (6.2g sugars)
- 30g butter
- 110g baby leeks, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 175ml dry white wine, plus an extra splash
- 500ml fish stock
- 150ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 2 fillets (roughly 200g) sustainably sourced white fish
- 12 sustainably sourced raw king prawns
- 180g pack sustainably sourced scallops
- Small handful flatleaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- ½ lemon for squeezing
For the croûtons
- Oil for frying
- 2 slices sourdough bread, cut into chunky croûtons
- ½ tsp dried marjoram or oregano
- Melt the butter in a large deep saucepan (with a lid). Add the veg and fry for 10 minutes until softened. Stir in the flour, bay leaves and wine, followed by the stock, milk and cream. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil for the croutons in a frying pan, then add the sourdough chunks, dried herbs and seasoning. Cook for a few minutes until crisp and golden brown. Set aside (see Make Ahead).
- Add the fish and seafood to the stock, then turn down the heat and poach for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the bay leaves, then stir in the parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Check the seasoning. Serve with the croutons, extra chopped parsley and plenty of black pepper.
If you can’t find fresh seafood or want a more budget-friendly soup, use frozen fish instead.
Make to the end of step 1 up to 2-3 days ahead, then cover and chill. To serve, gently reheat the soup before continuing with the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...