Mackerel with potato hash
- April 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, grill time 10 min
Use mackerel in this speedy midweek hash and you won’t be disappointed. Mackerel is an underrated fish that’s full of flavour and omega-3s, while being a sustainable option too.
Buy at its freshest, when in season if you can – June is a good month to try. Another similar recipe is this one with pan-fried mackerel, potatoes and beetroot.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 33.5g (5.9g saturated)
- 47.4g (2g sugars)
- 4 frozen sustainable mackerel fillets, defrosted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g frozen chopped shallots
- 10 frozen roast potatoes, defrosted and roughly chopped
- 50g frozen petits pois
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 25g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 25g fresh dill, chopped, plus extra to serve
- Greek yogurt to serve
- Heat the grill to medium. Put the mackerel fillets on the grill tray skin-side up, drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and season well with salt and pepper. Grill for 10 minutes until just cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and fry the shallots until softened and golden. Add the potatoes and turn up the heat, tossing the potatoes and shallots to brown slightly (they should start to break down a little).
- Add the petits pois and lemon juice, then toss through to cook gently.
Stir in the chopped herbs and the lemon zest, then season with salt and pepper. Divide among 4 plates, then top each with a mackerel fillet and generous dollops of yogurt. Scatter over extra dill to serve.
If you’re feeling hungry cook 6 mackerel fillets and a few extra potatoes. Next time, swap mackerel for other frozen fish.
Look out for sustainable sea bass fillets.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner ideas
Grilled mackerel with orange and basil-dressed pepper salad
Omega 3-rich fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with zingy orange and sweet peppers in this 20-minute...
Root veg hash with ham
This simple, rustic-style meal is a great way to use up leftover ham and any...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...