Seared tuna steaks and nicoise salad
- July 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus resting
A delicious tuna steaks and nicoise salad recipe for picnics and lunches. Seared tuna, potatoes, eggs and olives combine to make an elegant but filling salad.
Loved this recipe? Our tuna nicoise pasta is similar, and perfect for family dinners and lunchboxes.
- 26.7g (7.7g sugars)
- 500g small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved if large
- 200g french beans, trimmed and halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 medium free-range eggs (at room temperature)
- 500g MSC-certified sustainable fresh tuna steak (see Know-how)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp small (non-pareil) capers, drained and washed
- 50g niçoise olives, pitted (or use kalamata instead)
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped basil
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- Handful rocket leaves
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ¼ tsp caster sugar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
You’ll also need
- Griddle pan
- Bring a medium pan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt. Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 3 minutes until tender. Drain and refresh under cold water, then drain well, pat dry and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the onion slices, vinegar, sugar, salt and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp water and set aside for 15 minutes to quick-pickle. Drain well and put in the fridge.
- Put the eggs in a saucepan of gently boiling water and simmer for 7 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water. Peel and cut in half (or see Make Ahead).
- Heat a griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Rub the tuna with the olive oil and season. Add to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, depending on the size of the steaks. (The tuna should be cooked on the outside but rare in the middle – similar to beef carpaccio.) Remove from the pan and rest for 5 minutes, then cut into thin slices, cover and chill until needed.
- For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. In a separate bowl or container, combine the potatoes, beans, tomatoes, anchovies, caper, olives, herbs and rocket leaves. Add a couple of tablespoons of the dressing and stir well (see Make Ahead).
- To assemble, transfer the salad to a big plate or platter and arrange the tuna slices on top. Drizzle over the remaining dressing just before serving.
Easy swaps Use white wine/sherry vinegar instead of red wine vinegar.
Prepare the salad, eggs and dressing up to 1 day ahead. Cool the eggs in iced water and keep in the shellsuntil ready to assemble.
If you can find a tuna loin, it can be cooked as a whole piece and sliced. Alternatively, you can quickly sear and slice thinner tuna steaks (either works well).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Seared tuna with tomato and pine nut rice
Dinners don’t get much easier than this seared tuna with tomato and pine nut rice...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...