Niçoise salad with bacon and cheesy croutons
- June 2005
- for 4 people
- Ready in 25 minutes
This classic salad is typical holiday food. Although it includes salad leaves and green beans, it’s not exactly low cal, but if you pretend you’re on a break it won’t matter!
- 58.6g (12.6g saturated),
- 33.1g (8.4g sugar)
- 3.1g salt
- Small ciabatta loaf, torn into pieces
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 25g fresh Parmesan, grated
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 100g trimmed fine green beans
- 1 cos lettuce, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Large handful of pitted black olives
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 bottle French dressing, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220C/fan200C/gas 7. Put the ciabatta into a roasting tin, add the oil and turn to coat. Scatter over the cheese, season with pepper and mix. Stir in the bacon. Cook for 15 minutes, turning halfway, until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, add the beans to a saucepan of boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes, then drain and plunge into a bowl of cold water to cool. Drain again and set aside.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 plates. Top with the green beans, tomato wedges, olives and cheesy ciabatta croutons with bacon. Season. Peel and cut the eggs into wedges and scatter over the salad. Drizzle with some French dressing to serve.
Make the croutons the day before, put in an airtight container and store in a cool place.
Crack open a crisp, refreshing dry white such as Sauvignon Blanc.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...