Sesame tuna steak with cucumber salad and rice
- March 2019
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Get your oily fish quota with this tasty, no-fuss dish inspired by Japanese flavours. It’s a quick-fix meal for one, that takes just 15 minutes to make.
Prefer noodles to rice? Then our sesame tuna steak with noodles is the recipe for you.
- 10.6g (1.7g saturated)
- 6.5g (4.5g sugars)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for rubbing
- ½ red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp mirin
- 2 tsp tamari or light soy sauce
- Juice ½ lime
- Squeeze wasabi paste (optional)
- 1-2 mini cucumbers or ¼ cucumber, roughly chopped
- 1 line-caught sustainable tuna steak (look for MSC certification; see tip)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Freshly cooked basmati or Thai sticky rice to serve
- A few sprigs fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped (optional)
- Mix the sesame oil, extra-virgin olive oil, chilli, mirin, tamari/soy sauce, lime juice, wasabi (if using) and some pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the cucumber and set aside.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Rub the tuna with a little olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the tuna and cook, without moving it, for 1½ minutes for medium. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then carefully turn and cook on the other side for 1½ minutes more. (You can watch the edge of the tuna steak change colour to see how quickly it’s cooking through.) Remove from the heat. If you want it rare, cook for 1 minute on each side; for well-done cook for 2 minutes, then turn and cook for 2-2½ minutes. Don’t overcook or the tuna will be dry.
- Serve the fish with the cooked rice and cucumber salad with any leftover dressing drizzled over the top. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander, if using.
Choose whatever size of tuna steak suits you. A medium steak weighs about 160g, but a fishmonger can slice you one to order.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy fish recipes
Quick tuna steaks with a tomato and caper dressing
A quick and easy dinner recipe using fresh tuna steaks. These come topped with a...