Smashed avocado with curried butter
- February 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Turn the flavour factor up to 11 at your next weekend brunch with this avocado and poached egg recipe topped with curried butter.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 35.7g (12.9g saturated)
- 25.2g (1g sugars)
- 4 thick slices sourdough or dark rye bread
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good splash white wine vinegar
- 4 medium or large free-range eggs (see tips)
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 4 tbsp butter
- Mustard cress or coriander leaves to serve
- Toast the bread slices in a griddle pan or toaster. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado flesh out of the skins into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and olive oil and coarsely mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put 1½ litres water in a large pan with the vinegar and bring to the boil. Crack an egg into a cup, stir the simmering water with a spoon to create a whirlpool, then slowly slide the egg into the water, using a spoon to fold the white around the yolk if needed. Simmer gently for 2-4 minutes depending on how you like your eggs cooked. Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Meanwhile, toast the curry powder in a small pan until it smells fragrant. Add the butter and swirl until melted and combined. Season with salt.
- Spread the avocado on the toast. Top each slice with an egg, then pour over some curried butter. Scatter with mustard cress or herbs and eat straightaway.
Chill the eggs to help the whites stay together as you poach them.
Avos are notoriously tricky to catch at the moment of perfect ripeness – one day hard, the next over-ripe and discolouring inside – but innovations in controlling the ripening mean many are now sold as ‘ready to eat’. If ripening at home, check for ripeness by pulling the stem – it should come away easily to reveal green flesh.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick avocado toast with tomato
The combination of smashed avocado, toast and tomato makes an idea breakfast or brunch. It’s...