Smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel
- March 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 5 min, plus pickling
For a classic snack that really fills a hole, make these yummy bagels filled with smoked salmon and cream cheese (or schmear) and a quick homemade pickle.
‘Schmear’ is a loan-word from Yiddish and refers to the cream cheese spread in this classic bagel combo.
Or, for a sweet version of this snack, try a toasted bagel topped with ricotta and strawberries.
- 17g (7.7g saturated)
- 46.9g (8.9g sugars)
- 4 bagels, halved and toasted
- 180g cream cheese
- 200g sustainable smoked salmon
- 1-2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- A few fresh dill sprigs (optional)
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the quick-pickled cucumber and red onion
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or any vinegar you have to hand)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Small handful dill, finely chopped (or use parsley if you don’t like dill)
- 1 cucumber, peeled into long ribbons
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- To make the quick pickle, combine all the ingredients except the cucumber and onion in a medium glass/ceramic bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the cucumber and onion, then toss to coat in the pickling liquid. Set aside to pickle for at least 15 minutes (see Make Ahead and tips).
- Spread the bottom half of the toasted bagels with cream cheese, then top with a few slices of smoked salmon and a scattering of capers. Pile on a tangle of the pickled veg, season with black pepper and a few dill sprigs, if using. Top with the bagel lids, then slice each bagel sandwich in half and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
A mandoline slicer is best for creating the cucumber ribbons and onion slices.
Next time, swap smoked salmon for hot smoked salmon, trout or mackerel.
The quick pickle can be kept covered and chilled for up to 4 days – so it can make 2 servings for 1-2 people. The vegetables will lose some of their crunch the longer they’re kept, but the flavours will develop more fully.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tuna guacamole bagel
Canned tuna (we recommend dolphin-friendly) is usually mixed with mayo when it’s used as a...
Snacks and nibbles
Whether it's a platter of nachos, a bowl...
Nothing beats a delicious sandwich for lunch or...
Smoked salmon recipes
Packed with brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is...
Lunch recipes to take to work
Ditch that shop-bought sandwich and make something from...