Soy-glazed red cabbage
- March 2013
- Serves 6 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 5 mins, oven time 1 hour 5 minutes
A cabbage side dish recipe, made with apples and sultanas, that pairs fantastically with rich red meats. See right of image.
- 4.1g (2.2g saturated)
- 44.9g (42g sugars)
- 25g butter
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 200ml red wine
- 50ml port or madeira
- 1kg red cabbage, cored and chopped
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled and grated
- 100g golden sultanas
- 1 star anise
- 50g redcurrant jelly
- 100ml red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 50ml soy sauce (we like Kikkoman)
- Bring the butter, sugar, wine and port or madeira to a simmer in a large pan. Add the red cabbage, then mix in the apples, sultanas and star anise. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender.
- In another pan, heat the redcurrant jelly, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce for 8-10 minutes until syrupy (be careful not to burn the syrup). Remove from the heat.
- Check the cabbage is tender and the liquid is well reduced. Once cooked, drain any excess liquid and mix the soy syrup through to glaze the cabbage. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ginger, chilli and lime steamed cod with stir-fried red cabbage and coriander rice
This Asian-inspired cod recipe is perfect for a quick and easy midweek dinner. The best...