Spiced rice salad
- June 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 min to make, 15 min to cook, plus defrosting
This spicy rice salad recipe is ideal for summer and al fresco eating. Serve as part of a picnic, if you like.
- 3.7g (1.1g saturated)
- 39.3g (2.6g sugar)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 300g basmati rice
- 650ml vegetable stock, hot
- 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Zest of 1 lime
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves chopped
- In a saucepan with a tightly fitting lid, soften the onion and garlic in the olive oil and butter over a low heat. Increase the heat, add the cumin and chilli and cook, stirring, for
- 2 minutes. Stir in the rice, mixing it with the buttery onion. Pour in the stock, bring to a simmer, cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave for 5 minutes with the lid on. Fork through the kidney beans, lime zest and seasoning. Cool completely.
- Spoon into plastic containers, seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost well, stir in the coriander and serve cold. (If not freezing, add the coriander with the beans and zest, re-cover, leave for 5 minutes
- to warm through, then serve.)
Rate & review