Poached trout, beetroot and new potato salad with horseradish
- November 2007
- Serves 6
- Ready in 40 minutes
This seasonal dish of beetroot and trout makes a fantastic starter or main course.
- 2 rainbow trout, each weighing about 250g
- 350g small, evenly sized waxy new potatoes such as charlotte
- 125g mixed bitter salad leaves such as radicchio, frisée, chicory and watercress
- 175g small, cooked beetroot, each cut into 8 wedges
For the court bouillon
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the horseradish dressing
- 1½ tbsp creamed horseradish sauce
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- First, make the court bouillon. Put all its ingredients together in a medium pan. Cover with 2 litres water, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Strain into a deep sauté pan in which the trout will fit, side by side. Bring back to the boil, slide in the trout, making sure they are covered by the liquid (add a little boiling water from the kettle if necessary), and leave over the heat for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the fish to poach gently in the hot liquid for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the potatoes into a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and cook for about 12 minutes or until tender. Drain well and cut the potatoes lengthways into quarters.
- Lift the trout out of the poaching liquor and leave to cool for a few minutes. Remove the skin from 1 side of each fish, run a knife down the length of the fish between the 2 fillets and carefully ease them away from the bones. Turn the fish over and repeat on the other side. Break the flesh into bite-size pieces.
- Make the dressing. Mix together the horseradish sauce, mustard and white wine vinegar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil to make a thick, creamy dressing. Stir in the shallot and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad leaves in 2 tablespoons of the dressing and arrange in the centre of 6 plates with the potato wedges, beetroot wedges and the trout. Drizzle the remaining dressing over each salad to serve.
Rate & review