- 250g ground almonds
- 250g icing sugar, plus extra to coat
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add the vanilla extract to the bowl of dry ingredients, then fold in the egg white using a metal spoon or spatula. Don’t worry too much about knocking the air out of the egg whites – the dough will feel a bit sticky and heavy.
- Shape a walnut-size piece of the dough into a ball, then roll in a shallow dish of icing sugar to coat. Flatten the ball lightly in the palms of your hands, then pinch the sides into a rough diamond shape. Lay on a non-stick baking sheet, then repeat with the remaining dough.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until the biscuits start to turn golden brown. Remove the tray from the oven.
- Leave the ricciarelli to cool completely on the tray (pick one up early and it will leave its base on the tray). Once cool, you can lift them easily off the sheet with a flat knife.