How to make blinis video
Soft, pillowy and light blinis – topped with smoked salmon and cream cheese – are the ultimate, crowd-pleasing nibble. And no Christmas party would be complete without them!
Find out how to make mini blini pancakes with this easy guide, then check out our blini recipes below for lots of topping ideas!
What are blinis?
Blinis are bite-sized pancakes, typically made with buckwheat flour, strong white bread flour and yeast, and are often served as canapes with smoked salmon and crème fraîche.
Can you freeze blinis?
Once cooled, blinis will keep in sealed bags in the fridge for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. If freezing, defrost in the fridge. Wrap batches from the fridge in foil, then warm before serving.
Watch our handy video…
How to make blinis
- 55g buckwheat flour
- 110g strong white flour
- 5g easy blend yeast (such as Allinson Easy Bake yeast)
- 160ml crème fraîche
- 160ml milk
- 2 medium free-range eggs, separated
- Sunflower oil to fry
- Sift the flours and 1 tsp salt into a bowl. Stir through the yeast and make a well in the centre. Gently heat the crème fraîche and milk in a small pan until lukewarm.
- Add the egg yolks to the warmed milk, mix together, then pour into the well. Whisk to form a smooth batter. Cover the bowl with cling film, then leave in a warm place for 45 minutes until thickened and frothy. Whisk the egg whites until they form medium peaks, then fold through the batter.
- Grease the bottom of a heavy-based frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter, spaced apart, into the hot pan and cook for about 1 minute or until bubbles appear on the top and the underside is golden. Flip over and cook on the other side for another minute. Remove to a plate and repeat in batches with the remaining batter, greasing the pan when necessary.
More blini recipes…
Salmon tartare blinis
Bacon and egg blinis
Vesper martini-cured salmon and rye blinis
Horseradish blinis with buttered beetroot and smoked mackerel
Beetroot and horseradish blinisGiant salmon blini stack
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...