Salmon tartare blinis
- December 2016
- Makes 32 blinis
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus 12 hours curing
It wouldn’t be a party without canapés – Raymond Blanc puts his twist on a drinks party classic with these salmon tartare blinis.
- 3.1g (0.7g saturated)
- 2.8g (0.7g sugars)
See Wine Match
- 125g fine sea salt
- 125g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 3 lemons, plus wedges to serve
- 20g fresh dill, finely chopped
- 350g organic farmed salmon fillet, skinned and boned
- 32 mini blinis
For the garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- 25g fresh dill, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, sugar, lemon zest and dill together. Put half in a shallow ceramic or glass baking dish, then lay the salmon on top. Cover the top of the salmon with the remaining mixture. Cover the dish with cling film, then leave to cure in the fridge for 6 hours. Turn the salmon over, then cover and chill for 6 more hours.
- Rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut the salmon into 1cm cubes, then put in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all of the garnish ingredients together, then pour over the cubes of salmon and mix until well combined.
- Heat the blinis according to the packet instruction. Top each blini with a little of the salmon mixture, then serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Atlantic salmon is on the Marine Conservation Society’s Fish to Avoid list (goodfishguide.org), but you can get good quality farmed organic salmon or MSC-certified Alaskan salmon.
Prepare the salmon at least 12 hours (or up to 3 days) in advance, but don’t leave it in the curing mixture for more than 12 hours; after this time, wash and dry the fish and keep it chilled, wrapped in clingfilm.
The garnish can be prepared and the salmon dressed 1 hour before assembling the blinis; keep in a cool place.
What's the perfect wine match?
Our friends at Majestic Wine recommend Definition Albarino. From Northern Spain, where the weather is distinctly ‘British’, this sea-influenced white has the tart acidity and fresh citrus notes to cut through this rich and creamy salmon canapé.
Use promo code DELICIOUS to get £10 off your order when you spend £40 or more.£11.99 | Buy Now See all albariño
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Lemon risotto cakes with smoked salmon and horseradish cream
Lemony, crunchy risotto cakes topped with rich smoked salmon and a dollop of zingy horseradish...
Whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese and pumpernickel with apple salad
A wonderful do-ahead recipe. The curing flavours also work well with salmon if you prefer.