Paella with squid and roasted red peppers
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook
Squid makes this Spanish paella recipe healthier as it’s low in calories and fat, but rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.
- 7.6g (1.4g saturated)
- 60.7g (7.1g sugar)
- 800ml chicken stock
- Large pinch of saffron
- 5 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g vine-ripened tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 tsp sweet paprika, plus a little extra for the squid
- 250g Spanish calasparra or bomba rice, or arborio rice
- 290g jar chargrilled red peppers in brine, drained and cut into strips
- 300-350g medium squid, cleaned, tentacles separated from the body
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the saffron, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a paella pan (or a wide, shallow saucepan or frying pan that’s at least 26cm in diameter). Add the onion and fry for 5-6 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Add the garlic, tomato and paprika and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, add the saffron-infused stock and bring to the boil. Stir once, then lower the heat to a simmer and leave the rice to cook uncovered, without stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in the pepper strips and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes until the stock has all been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Slit the squid pouches open along one side and open them out flat. Score the inside into a tight diamond pattern with the tip of a small, sharp knife, then cut the squid into 4cm pieces. Leave the tentacles whole.
- Shortly before the rice is ready, heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, add the squid and tentacles and season with a little paprika and salt. Stir-fry for 1½ minutes. Scatter the squid and tentacles over the top of the cooked rice, sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over, if you like.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter