- April 2011
- Serves 10
- Takes 15 minutes to make, plus chilling
Impress your guests with your own homemade after-dinner mints. Perfect with a coffee after a sumptuous meal.
Looking for alternative sweet treats? Master our peppermint creams.
- 5.6g (3.4g saturated)
- 35.8g (33.7g sugars)
- 200g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids)
- 1 large free-range egg white
- 220g icing sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- A few drops of green food colouring
- Grease and line a 18cm x 28cm shallow tray with baking paper.
- Melt half the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water (don’t allow the water to touch the bowl). Pour into the tray, shake until evenly spread, then put in the fridge to harden.
- Meanwhile, make the fondant. Put the egg white in a clean bowl and gently stir with a fork to break up. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, then add half to the egg white. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixed.
- Add the peppermint essence, stir well, then beat in the rest of the icing sugar to make a smooth, thick, spreadable paste. Add a few drops of green food colouring until it becomes the palest green colour.
- 5. Once the chocolate has hardened, spread a thin (about 2mm) layer of the peppermint cream fondant over it using a palette knife, then put back in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour until set.
- Once the peppermint cream has set, melt the rest of the dark chocolate over simmering water. Let it cool slightly, then spread another layer of dark chocolate over the set peppermint cream, tipping the tray in all directions so the chocolate evens out over the surface. Leave in the fridge to set.
- Once set, remove from the tray and transfer to a plate or board. Serve at the table so your guests can break it apart and eat with a postprandial coffee.
Contains raw egg
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter