Almond cheesecake meringue nests
- December 2023
- Makes 4
- Hands-on time 45 min, plus 2 hours cooling. Oven time 1 hour 30 min
Scoops of pillowy amaretto-spiked mascarpone top golden sugar meringue nests to make these individual festive desserts. The meringues can be made up to a week in advance, and the filling two days ahead: see the Make Ahead tips below.
Get planning for the festive season with more make-ahead Christmas desserts.
- 29g (16g saturated)
- 22g (22g sugars)
- 1 medium free-range egg white
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 75g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 30g flaked almonds
- 100ml double cream
- 100g mascarpone
- 1 tbsp amaretto (or ½ tsp almond extract, to make the recipe non-alcoholic)
- Electric mixer
- Heat the oven to 120°C fan/gas 1. Use an electric mixer on medium speed to whisk the egg white to soft peaks (ones that flop over), then increase the speed to high and continue whisking while adding the cream of tartar and 50g of the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time. When the egg white mix is stiff and glossy, whisk in the vanilla extract. Spoon the mixture into 4 equal mounds on a baking tray lined with baking paper, then use a spoon to press a small crater into the centre of each. Bake for 1½ hours, then turn off the oven and leave them to cool inside for 2 hours. Toast the flaked almonds on a baking tray for the final 30 minutes of the meringue cooking time, then remove to cool.
- To make the cheesecake filling, put the cream and remaining 25g sugar in a bowl and whisk to soft peaks. Roughly chop half the toasted flaked almonds and stir the mascarpone to loosen it, then gently fold both through the cream along with the amaretto. Cover and chill if not using immediately.
- When ready to serve, top each meringue nest with a spoonful of the cheesecake filling, then sprinkle with the remaining toasted almonds.
Use ½ tsp almond extract instead of the amaretto for an alcohol-free version.
Make the meringues and store in an airtight container for up to a week. Make the cheesecake filling, then store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Assemble to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Almond pavlovas with amaretto custard, apricots and caramel sauce
We’ve added ground almonds to the meringue for a chewier...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter