Aubergine pilaf with apricots and almonds
- August 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This fragrant aubergine pilaf is naturally gluten-free and made in one pan. Fluffy basmati rice is tumbled with spiced aubergine, apricots and almonds.
Looking for more ways to cook with aubergines? The versatile eggplant is the star of our aubergine recipes collection.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.8g (1.8g saturated)
- 77.6g (16.8g sugars)
- 300g basmati rice
- 2 large aubergines, chopped into large chunks
- 2-3 tbsp ras el hanout spice mix
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 100g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- Large handful almonds, toasted in a dry frying pan, to serve
- Pomegranate seeds, coriander and natural yogurt to serve
You’ll also need
- Shallow hob-safe casserole with lid (about 30cm)
- Rinse the rice, then soak it in cold water for 5 minutes before rinsing it and leaving to one side.
- In a large bowl, combine the aubergine chunks with the ras el hanout and 1 tbsp olive oil, stirring to combine.
- Heat a large heatproof pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil followed by the aubergine, then cook for 10 minutes, turning now and then, until softened. Take the aubergine out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pan and fry for 5 minutes until turning golden. Add the garam masala and turmeric then cook for 1-2 minutes until smelling fragrant.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes to give it some colour. Gradually pour the stock into the pan, add the cinnamon stick and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rice has cooked and fully absorbed the liquid. Pop a lid on the pan and leave to steam for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir through the apricots, then top with the spiced aubergine, toasted almonds, pomegranate seeds and coriander. Serve with a big dollop of yogurt.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato, aubergine, courgette and mozzarella tagliatelle
Eat in Italian style with this easy vegetarian pasta recipe with seasonal vegetables. This can...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...