Baby barbecued spuds with fattoush salad
- September 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook, plus soaking
Serve up this summery combo of barbecued new potatoes and a crisp fattoush salad as part of a fabulous alfresco feast.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 51.5g (7.8g saturated)
- 43.8g (10.5g sugar)
- 12 large, evenly sized new potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 125g mayonnaise
For the fattoush dressing
- 100ml olive oil
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1-2 tbsp sumac (a Middle Eastern spice, from Waitrose and Middle Eastern shops), plus extra to dust
For the fattoush salad
- 1 pitta, toasted and torn into small pieces
- 8 plum tomatoes, quartered and deseeded
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 little gem lettuces, leaves separated and washed
- Handful fresh mint leaves
- Light/preheat the barbecue and soak 4 wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes in a pan of boiling salted water, then drain and toss in 1 tbsp oil, with a good pinch of sea salt and 1 tsp paprika. Thread the potatoes onto the soaked skewers and pop onto the hot part of the barbecue for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so. If they begin to burn, move to a cooler part.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining paprika with 1 tsp oil to make a paste, then stir into the mayonnaise.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl, season to taste and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked and crisp, slide off the skewers and tumble into a bowl.
- Assemble the salad by putting all the ingredients on a platter or in a large bowl, pour over the fattoush dressing and gently toss together.
- Sprinkle with extra sumac and serve with the spuds and paprika mayonnaise for dipping.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Asparagus, crispy potatoes and radishes with herb hollandaise
Packed with seasonal produce and topped with herby hollandaise, this spring salad with asparagus is...
Broad bean recipes
New potato, artichoke, broad bean and chorizo salad
A filling salad recipe with the rich flavour of chorizo and a mustardy kick in...