Butterflied leg of spring lamb with mint pesto
- May 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 min to make, 1½ hours to cook
For a twist on tradition, make this roast lamb stuffed with mint pesto for Easter lunch (or a springtime Sunday roast). The pesto flavours the meat and keeps it succulent. Make homemade pesto to make your roast lamb extra special.
Alternatively, try this roast leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic pesto.
- 34.4g (12.1g saturated)
- 2kg butterflied leg of spring lamb
- 3 tbsp mint pesto (use the Classic basil pesto recipe, using mint instead of the basil)
- 6 anchovy fillets, each cut into 3 pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Lay out the leg of lamb, inside up, on a chopping board and spread the pesto all over the inside. Roll up and tie with string to secure.
- Put the lamb in a roasting tin and make 18 incisions all over it with a sharp knife. Insert a piece of anchovy into each incision. Drizzle the olive oil over the lamb and season with black pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven for about 1½ hours for slightly pink lamb, and longer if you prefer it well cooked. Rest the lamb for 15 minutes, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Stuffed leg of Welsh lamb with onion and leek sauce
James Martin’s traditional stuffed leg of Welsh lamb would make a showstopping Sunday roast or...
Easy dinner party mains
Herb-crusted rack of lamb with beans, artichokes and garlic
Make this quick rack of lamb recipe as an elegant roast for four people.