Brioche French toast with berry compote
- March 2020
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
Kick off your weekend with this decadent breakfast of cinnamon-spiced brioche French toast topped with grated chocolate.
- 41.5g (24.9g saturated)
- 66g (26g sugars)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 150ml whole milk
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 4 thick brioche slices
- Butter for frying
- 4 tbsp mascarpone
- Grated white or dark chocolate to serve
- Grated zest ½ orange
For the compote
- 300g frozen mixed berries
- Juice ½ orange
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- Put all the ingredients for the compote in a small pan and gently cook until the berries have thawed and softened and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 6-8 minutes (see Make Ahead).
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the milk and spices in a wide, shallow bowl. Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- When the butter is foaming, dip a slice of brioche in the egg mixture to coat both sides, then add to the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Do this in batches, setting the brioche aside on a plate while you fry the remaining slices. Wipe the pan clean and add another knob of butter between batches if need be.
- Serve the warm French toast topped with a dollop mascarpone, a generous portion of berry compote and a sprinkling of grated chocolate and orange zest.
This makes more compote than you need but it’s fabulous served with porridge or swirled through yogurt. Keep covered in the fridge for up to a week.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Panettone french toast with maple syrup, mascarpone and walnuts
Use up leftover panettone to make this french toast with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter