Caraway and sesame rye crackers
- March 2021
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 1½ hours, plus cooling
These seed-encrusted, homemade rye crackers are easy to prepare, and are delicious spread with homemade houmous or cream cheese – or, if you want to really impress people, with this homemade smoked salmon, cream cheese and dill pâté.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.2g (0.9g saturated)
- 29.7g (1g sugars)
- 250g rye flour, sifted
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 125ml water
- 2 tbsp each caraway and sesame seeds
- Dash of vegetable oil
You’ll also need
- 2 baking sheets lined with compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 140°C/120°C fan/gas 1 and line the baking sheets. Mix the rye flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Beat together the egg and water, then add to the dry mixture and combine.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, then roll it out as thinly as you can (aim for 2mm). Scatter over the caraway and sesame seeds, then roll again. Cut the dough into large shards, then use a metal spatula to carefully lift the shards onto the baking sheets. Roll again briefly to flatten and brush with a little oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning halfway, until crisp and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Poppy and sesame seed crackers
Do you have a cheese fiend in your life? Then how about making a parcel...
Snacks and nibbles
Whether it's a platter of nachos, a bowl...
Healthy lunch recipes
Make lunchtimes healthier with recipes that are packed...
Sharing recipes to feed a crowd
Having friends over? Or catering for a big...
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Need some vegetarian recipe inspiration? Our healthy recipes...