Carrot, parsnip and mascarpone gratin
- December 2018
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 10-15 min, oven time 35-40 min
A great make-ahead side dish to serve with your roast dinner. This creamy carrot and parsnip gratin, cooked with rosemary, garlic and bay, is a real crowd-pleaser.
- 26.7g (14.6g saturated)
- 21.8g (12.5g sugars)
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 500g parsnips, very thinly sliced into discs
- 500g carrots, very thinly sliced into discs
- 3 fat garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 350ml semi-skimmed milk
- 200g mascarpone
- 125g grated pecorino (or use a vegetarian hard cheese)
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
You’ll also need
- 1.2 litre baking dish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Melt 25g butter until foaming in a large, deep frying pan. Add the onion and a pinch of fine salt. Soften gently for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the parsnips, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and 2 rosemary sprigs, then stir to combine. Pour over the milk and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Stir in the mascarpone and 100g of the grated cheese, then season. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Toast the hazelnuts on a small baking tray in the oven for 5-6 minutes. Remove and roughly chop.
- Finely chop the leaves from the remaining rosemary sprig. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and heat until foaming. Fry the breadcrumbs and chopped rosemary for 3-4 minutes until golden and crisp. Take off the heat, leave to cool, then stir in the hazelnuts and remaining grated cheese. Season, sprinkle over the gratin (see The Prep), then bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
Assemble the gratin, then cover and chill the day before. Remove from the fridge 1 hour before baking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Balsamic and brown sugar roast carrots and parsnips
If you’re looking for something a little different to serve...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter