Chetna Makan’s cherry, almond and honey upside-down cake
- July 2022
- Serves 10-12
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus cooling. Oven time 40-45 min
This cherry upside-down cake from food writer and Bake Off star Chetna Makan looks and tastes wonderful – plus it’s a cinch to make.
Pineapple upside-down cake is the ultimate retro bake: try our recipe.
Recipe from Easy Baking by Chetna Makan (£20; Hamlyn)
- Vegetarian recipes
- 24.3g (10.3g saturated)
- 33.3g (25.4g sugars)
- 220g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 250g fresh cherries, pitted and halved (see Easy Swaps)
- 70g flaked almonds
- 200g runny honey, plus 2-3 tbsp to glaze
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g ground almonds
- 120g self-raising flour
- 4 large free-range eggs
You’ll also need
- 25cm round springform cake tin
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan/gas 4. Grease the cake tin and line the base with compostable baking paper. Put the cherries, cut-sides down, in the prepared tin. Sprinkle about a third of the flaked almonds in between the cherries.
- Put all the remaining ingredients for the cake, except for the remaining flaked almonds, into a bowl. Whisk with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until creamy and fluffy (you could also use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment). Fold in the rest of the flaked almonds by hand, then pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate (so the base is on the top) and carefully peel off the baking paper. Warm the 2-3 tbsp honey until it’s runny and spreadable, then brush it over the cherries. Slice and serve.
Easy swaps: Use frozen or tinned cherries if fresh cherries aren’t in season. Be sure to drain tinned cherries or defrost frozen ones before using.
The cake will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Bring it up to room temperature before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Elderflower, lemon and cherry cream flourless cake
A flourless cake with elderflower cordial (or you can use...
Upside-down cake recipes
Upside-down is the right way up with these...
Make the most of juicy cherries in our...
Easy cake recipes
Baking doesn't have to be complicated. With our...
July seasonal recipes
Summer is in full swing and luckily for...
Summer cake recipes
These gorgeous summer cake recipes feature fresh seasonal...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...