Classic French onion soup
- November 2013
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 minutes, time on hob 1 hour 15 minutes
This classic French onion soup recipe is a comforting and hearty. Serve with gruyère cheese toasts.
- 11.7g (5.8g saturated)
- 41.8g (16.2g sugars)
- 50g butter
- Splash of olive oil
- 12 large onions, finely sliced
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- Good splash of calvados
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1.5 litres fresh beef stock
- 6 slices of baguette
- 30g gruyère, grated, plus extra to serve
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan with a good splash of olive oil, then gently fry the onions, finely for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and fry very gently for 30-40 minutes. Remove the lid and fry for a further 15 minutes until really soft and golden brown.
- Tip the caramelised onions into a large saucepan with the thyme sprigs, then add a good splash of calvados and the white wine. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add 1.5 litres fresh beef stock. Simmer for a further 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill. Top the baguette slices with the grated gruyère, then melt under the grill. Serve the soup with the toasts on top and extra grated gruyère.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...