Classic French onion soup
- November 2013
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 minutes, time on hob 1 hour 15 minutes
This classic French onion soup recipe is a comforting and hearty. Serve with gruyère cheese toasts.
- 11.7g (5.8g saturated)
- 41.8g (16.2g sugars)
- 50g butter
- Splash of olive oil
- 12 large onions, finely sliced
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- Good splash of calvados
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1.5 litres fresh beef stock
- 6 slices of baguette
- 30g gruyère, grated, plus extra to serve
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan with a good splash of olive oil, then gently fry the onions, finely for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and fry very gently for 30-40 minutes. Remove the lid and fry for a further 15 minutes until really soft and golden brown.
- Tip the caramelised onions into a large saucepan with the thyme sprigs, then add a good splash of calvados and the white wine. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add 1.5 litres fresh beef stock. Simmer for a further 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill. Top the baguette slices with the grated gruyère, then melt under the grill. Serve the soup with the toasts on top and extra grated gruyère.
Rate & review