Coronation chicken salad
- June 2010
- for 4 people
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 1 hour to cook, plus cooling
Make a classic coronation chicken from scratch with this recipe, made with mango chutney, almonds and Greek yogurt.
- 29.6g (5g saturated)
- 14.4g (11.5g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 1.6 kg (large) free-range chicken
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 onions, 1 halved, 1 roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp red wine
- 2 tbsp sweet mango chutney
- Good squeeze of lemon juice
- 150ml classic mayonnaise
- 75g Greek yogurt
- 60g raisins
- Handful toasted flaked almonds
- Bunch of watercress, to serve
- Crusty bread or basmati rice, to serve
- Place the chicken in a large pan with the bay leaves, peppercorns and halved onion, and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Poach for 45 minutes until cooked through, then remove from the stock and cool. Discard the skin; shred the meat into large chunks.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, soften the chopped onion in the olive oil over a low heat for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, stir through the curry powder and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato purée and cook for a minute more. Add the wine, chutney and lemon juice, then bubble for 2 minutes, stirring, until thickened to a paste. Remove to a bowl and leave to cool completely before blending in a small food processor. Push through a fine sieve with a wooden spoon and discard the solids.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayo and yogurt, then stir through 2 tbsp of the curried paste, or more if you like (discard the rest), season with salt and add a squeeze more lemon. Add the chicken and raisins, mixing well to coat. Spoon onto a plate and scatter over the almonds. Serve with watercress and crusty bread or rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Extra special coronation chicken
We have given our coronation chicken recipe a modern twist by marinating, then grilling the...