- August 2004
- Serves 2
- Hands on time 20 mins, plus crab preparation
Looking for a classic crab cocktail? This recipe has a video to help you prepare the cooked crab, along with a creamy cocktail sauce. Ideal for a summery lunch in the garden, or dinner party starter.
- 43g fat (7.8g saturated)
- 5g (3.9g sugars)
- 1-1.5kg cooked brown crab (see our how-to video below)
- 50g pancetta or dry cured bacon, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- Brown bread or white bread, cut into triangles and buttered, to serve
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 3-4 spring onions, sliced
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp home-made mayonnaise or a good brand such as Hellmann’s
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or a shake of Tabasco sauce
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Remove the crab claws and set aside. Pick the crab, separating the white from the brown meat, and set aside.
- Fry the pancetta or bacon in the olive oil until very crispy and set aside on some kitchen towel to absorb any excess fat.
- Next make the dressing. Mix 1 generous tablespoon brown crabmeat with the mayonnaise, ketchup, cayenne pepper or Tabasco and lemon juice. This is a bit like the old-fashioned dressing for a prawn cocktail.
- Put the bread on to 2 plates. Arrange the avocado on top and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with the white crabmeat, top with a crab claw and scatter with the pancetta and onions. Season with black pepper.
Non-meat-eaters can omit the bacon, of course, but I’d be fibbing if I said it made no difference to the finished article. I have eaten this salad in the form of a very decadent club sandwich, and it really works. Switch to toasted white bread if you plan to do this. Fill generously with the crab cocktail and shredded little gem or cos lettuce. Spear the rounds together using the obligatory cocktail stick.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas breakfast recipes
Crab on toasted spelt with soft boiled eggs and salsa verde
Creamy crab and a fresh herby salsa take egg on toast to a new level...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...