Easy crab risotto
- December 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
This easy crab risotto recipe is fast enough for a midweek meal and impressive enough for a dinner party. If you want to prepare your own fresh crab, take a look at our how to prepare fresh crab video below.
- 31.6g (15g saturated)
- 80.5g (3.1g sugar)
- 4 tbsp brown crab meat and 250g fresh white crab meat (from larger supermarkets and fishmongers or see our how-to video below)
- A few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g cold butter, cubed
- 1 small onion or 2 small shallots, chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- About 1.4 litres vegetable stock, hot
- Good handful chopped fresh basil, plus extra basil leaves, to garnish
- Put the brown crab meat in a mini-processor with the Tabasco and lemon juice and blitz to combine. Check the seasoning.
- Heat the oil and 50g of the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion or shallots and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir in the rice and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add the wine. Bubble rapidly for about 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol, then reduce the heat to medium and begin adding the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Allow each addition to be absorbed before adding the next, until al dente – it should take about 18 minutes.
- Add the blitzed brown crab meat and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining butter, white crab meat and basil. Serve immediately, garnished with basil leaves.
Rate & review