Easy crab risotto
- December 2007
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
This easy crab risotto recipe is fast enough for a midweek meal and impressive enough for a dinner party. If you want to prepare your own fresh crab, take a look at our how to prepare fresh crab video below.
- 31.6g (15g saturated)
- 80.5g (3.1g sugar)
- 4 tbsp brown crab meat and 250g fresh white crab meat (from larger supermarkets and fishmongers or see our how-to video below)
- A few dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g cold butter, cubed
- 1 small onion or 2 small shallots, chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- About 1.4 litres vegetable stock, hot
- Good handful chopped fresh basil, plus extra basil leaves, to garnish
- Put the brown crab meat in a mini-processor with the Tabasco and lemon juice and blitz to combine. Check the seasoning.
- Heat the oil and 50g of the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion or shallots and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir in the rice and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add the wine. Bubble rapidly for about 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol, then reduce the heat to medium and begin adding the hot stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Allow each addition to be absorbed before adding the next, until al dente – it should take about 18 minutes.
- Add the blitzed brown crab meat and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining butter, white crab meat and basil. Serve immediately, garnished with basil leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...