Creamy chicken and mushroom pasta
- September 2021
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Get ready to add this creamy chicken and mushroom pasta to your midweek rota. On the table in 30 mins, it’s the ideal low-fuss dinner.
Chicken and mushroom is a timeless flavour combination. Bring them together again in our mushroom tagliatelle alfredo with chicken milanese.
Always looking for new recipes to try? Subscribe to delicious. Magazine and get new recipes through your door every month. Get five magazines for £5.
- 28.3g (11g saturated)
- 73.8g (3.7g sugars)
- 4 skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus a splash and a glug
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g pasta shells
- 150ml single cream
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 150g ricotta
- 2-3 sage sprigs, leaves picked, half shredded and half left whole
- 30g grated parmesan (optional)
You’ll also need
- Baking tray lined with compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C fan/gas 7. Put the chicken on the baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp oil and add salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly, then roughly shred the meat.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms and fry, stirring now and then, for 6-8 minutes until tender and taking on colour. Stir in the chicken and a pinch of salt to season. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Drain, reserving about 50ml pasta water, then toss with a splash of oil to keep the shells separate.
- Pour the cream in a large/wide pan and simmer for 1 minute, then add the lemon zest and juice, ricotta and shredded sage. Stir in the chicken and mushroom mix. Toss the pasta shells with the hot mixture, adding enough reserved pasta water to create a creamy sauce that coats the pasta.
- Heat a large glug of oil in a small pan over a high heat. Add the whole sage leaves and sizzle for about 45 seconds. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle the leaves over the pasta with the lemon zest and parmesan (if using) and plenty of black pepper to serve.
Easy swaps: To make the dish vegetarian, swap the chicken for extra (wild) mushrooms and use a veggie parmesan alternative.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter