Fennel, tomato and Gruyère bake
- September 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1 hour 10 min
This fennel bake recipe packs a cheesy punch. The sweet tomato compliments the aniseed flavour perfectly. Serve it for lunch or as a side for supper.
For a cheesier, heartier fennel bake, try this taleggio gratin.
- 11.9g (1.6g saturated)
- 26.4g (16.8g sugars)
- 1 onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- 1 small bunch of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sugar
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 180g grated gruyère cheese (or vegetarian alternative)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Finely chop the onion and fry gently in half the olive oil for 7 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and fry for 3 minutes more.
- Halve the fennel lengthways, then cut into 1cm slices lengthways. Put into a 20cm x 30cm baking dish, toss with the rest of the olive oil, season and put in the oven.
- Add the tomato purée to the onions and fry for a minute, then add the cherry tomatoes, parsley and sugar. Season, then bubble for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour onto the fennel and bake for 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, fry the breadcrumbs in a little oil until golden, then sprinkle over the bake with the grated cheese for the last 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with extra chopped parsley.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken thigh recipes
Baked chicken thighs with peppers and butter beans
Make two portions of this healthy Mediterranean-style chicken and bean bake then pop one in...