Freezable Riesling-braised red cabbage
- November 2014
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 2-3 hours
Add colour to your roast dinner with this easy-to-make red cabbage side dish recipe.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 2.4g (1.3g saturated)
- 25.2g (24.7g sugars)
- 1 red cabbage, cored and finely shredded (about 1kg)
- 750ml semi-sweet riesling wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- Pared zest 1 lemon and 1 orange
- Good knob of butter
- Put all the ingredients except the butter into a large saucepan with enough water to cover, then bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 hours (see tips), stirring occasionally, or until the cabbage is reduced to one-third of its size, and is soft and fragrant.
- Drain, reserving the juices. Add the butter to the juices and reduce in the pan for 20 minutes or until you have about 300ml liquid. Toss the cabbage through, taste and season. Serve or see make ahead.
The cooking time in step 2 depends on the cabbage’s freshness, how finely it’s shredded and the size of the pan.
Freeze the cooked, cooled red cabbage up to 3 months ahead, defrost completely, then reheat in a pan to serve.
Wear rubber gloves when peeling red cabbage so your hands don’t stain.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Red cabbage recipes
Braised red cabbage with apple & mustard vinaigrette
Any roast is made all the better with Thomasina Miers’ braised red cabbage recipe. The...