Fried halloumi salad with charred hispi cabbage
- October 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 10 min
This fried halloumi salad has it all: salty and tangy halloumi, caramelised charred cabbage and crunchy sweet beetroot slaw. There’s chickpeas to make it extra filling, too.
If cabbage isn’t your thing, try our herbed lentil and beetroot ‘couscous’ with halloumi
- 47.6g (20.7g saturated)
- 33.5g (12.8g sugars)
- 1 white hispi, pointed or sweetheart cabbage, quartered
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 400g halloumi, sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
For the slaw
- 1 banana shallot or small red onion, finely sliced into wedges
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt (or crème fraîche)
- 2 tbsp tahini (see Tips)
- Small handful fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 4 small raw beetroot, scrubbed and sliced into rounds
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Mix the shallot/onion and lime juice for the slaw in a non-metallic bowl and set aside to pickle while the cabbage cooks.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the cabbage wedges on a baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, then roast for 10 minutes until just charred. Set aside.
- Drain the shallot/onion, keeping the liquid, and set aside. Mix together the remaining slaw ingredients with the pickling liquid and some seasoning.
- Just before serving, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the halloumi for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- Divide the slaw between serving plates, arrange the hot halloumi on top with the cabbage, shallot/onion, sliced avocado and remaining mint, with lime wedges on the side for squeezing.
If you haven’t got any tahini, use a few splashes of sesame oil or some peanut butter instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Italian starter recipes
Pancetta-wrapped halloumi fries with smoky chilli tomato relish
Possibly the ultimate crowd-pleasing nibble, these pancetta-wrapped halloumi fries are served with a smoky tomato...
Halloumi and pea falafel flatbreads with houmous and slaw
Try our easy DIY falafel recipe made with halloumi, peas and leeks. Then use to...