Tenderstem broccoli gratin
- April 2017
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 20 min
This creamy, zesty broccoli gratin makes a wonderful vegetarian side dish for dinner parties or Sunday lunch.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.3g (11.5g saturated)
- 3.9g (1.5g sugars)
- 3 x 125g packs Tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 220ml pot double cream
- Splash milk
- Zest 1 lemon
- 75g grated cheese: a mix of parmesan, gruyère and cheddar (or vegetarian alternatives)
- Handful fresh breadcrumbs
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°fan/gas 4. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water until just tender (about 3-4 minutes). Reserve 250ml of the cooking water, then drain. Plunge the broccoli into a large bowl of ice cold water to cool quickly, then drain well.
- Put the drained broccoli into an ovenproof baking dish. In a jug, mix the eggs, cream and milk (see Make Ahead), pour over the broccoli, then toss to coat. Mix the zest, cheese and breadcrumbs, then scatter over the broccoli. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and the cream has set a little.
The day before, blanch the broccoli, put in a food bag, then keep chilled. Make the cream-egg mixture, cover and chill. Grate the cheese and store in a food bag in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tenderstem and spring onion galettes with goat’s cheese
This open-face style tart recipe is called a galette. It’s packed with fresh spring veg...